The Anglican church of Christ Church Bong Bong in the NSW Southern Highlands was built in 1845 on the estate of local landowner Charles Throsby (1799-1854).
Throsby’s wife Elizabeth ‘Betsey’ Broughton (1807–1891), mother to their 17 children and one of only five survivors of the 1809 Boyd massacre, commissioned the fine decorative interior of Christ Church in 1884. This included the stained glass and installation of a mahogany organ.
ICS was commissioned to conserve the entire painted scheme, including the stencil work on the ceiling and walls. In the process we discovered and recreated other details that had been painted over such as gold circles and fleurs-de-lis. A small section was left to show the pre-restoration condition.
Over the century since its inception, the entire paint work had gradually deteriorated and discoloured.
The conservation task was to reveal the church’s original atmosphere without losing the charm of history’s patination. This included:
The walls and dome of the Hall of Memory, at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, are lined with one of the largest mosaics in the world. Designed by artist Napier Waller (who also designed the fifteen stained glass windows in the Hall), it was unveiled in 1959. The mosaic inside the dome depicts the souls of the dead rising...
Overview The opening of Barangaroo Reserve in 2015 has allowed Sydneysiders to walk around a part of the Sydney harbour foreshore that had been closed off to the public for more than 100 years. The six-hectare parkland has transformed one...