The Bushells Building is a landmark heritage-listed former industrial building, warehouse and factory in The Rocks suburb of Sydney.
Built for Bushells Tea Company, the seven-storey building was completed in 1924-25 and occupied by the company for 50 years. The building provides a rare example of a 1920s warehouse that retains many of its industrial manufacturing features and the original – and prominent – signage on the exterior of the building.
In 1999 work was undertaken to convert the building to commercial office space – involving extensive conservation and maintenance work, preserving evidence of its former use by Bushells Tea.
ICS were engaged by Tanner Architects (now Tanner Kibble Denton Architects) to undertake significant conservation works to the original Bushells advertisement on the north wall. This work included taking paint scrapes to reveal the original paintwork, consolidation of the flaking paint surface and recreation of the original advertisement over an isolating layer.
In addition to the advertisement, inside the building ICS also conducted conservation works on various heritage machinery, such as tea blenders, and associated signage.
Machinery and signage
Overview In the late 1990s in the small town of Rylstone, NSW, a mural hidden for 100 years was uncovered above a fireplace in the heritage-listed Bridge View Inn. Although in very poor condition, with the top third covered by overpaint, Virginia Hollister from the Rylstone Historical Society discovered that it contained accurate local historical information and amusing references to...
Overview The Futurist Room is one of several themed ‘character lounges’ in Sydney’s State Theatre. It was designed by Henry E. White in the 1920s and presents an intriguing Jazz Age vision of the future. Murals on each wall depict angular panels in soft pastel colours bordered with gold leaf in the Art Deco style. Condition By the end of...