Rouse Hill Estate Side Chair

PROJECT DATE : 2018
project
Rouse Hill Side Chairs
client
Sydney Living Museum
services
Furniture Conservation and Textiles Conservation

Overview

This high Victorian style upholstered dining chair is from the collection of the Rouse Hill Estate. The NSW homestead, in the Australian Georgian style, was developed between 1813 and 1819 with further developments in c. 1863.

Receipts from cabinet maker Andrew Lenehan (1815-1886) show that the chair was a part of a larger collection of items brought to Australia by Edwin Rouse in 1855.

The Rouse Hill homestead and estate are now managed by Sydney Living Museums and open to the public.

Condition

The overall structural condition was fairly stable with the following concerns:

  • Some loose joints
  • Detached moulding to the proper right front

The condition of the upholstery was poor:

  • Show cover tacked over previous covers and gimp
  • No dust cover
  • Webbing largely failed
  • Springs have all blown their webbing and only loosely supported, causing a sunken appearance
  • Some tacks have failed and no longer holding
  • Detached and frayed gimping

 

Treatment

ICS furniture and textile teams carried out treatment including;

  • Complete removal of webbing
  • Cleaning all surfaces
  • New webbing interwoven to mimic the original and secured using original tacks in existing holes
  • Stitching springs to new webbing
  • Tacking new and original webbing back into original position
  • Small areas of decorative gimp were loosely secured with stitching
  • Final surface clean

project
Rouse Hill Side Chairs
client
Sydney Living Museum
services
Furniture Conservation and Textiles Conservation
Before Treatment
After Treatment

More Projects Like This One

Old Parliament House Fire-damaged Doors

Almost a century old, the solid jarrah doors welcoming visitors into Canberra's Old Parliament House are an integral part of not only the building but national heritage, bearing witness to evolving eras of politics and being the physical backdrop of iconic moments in Australian history. Designed in 1924 by Commonwealth Chief Architect John Smith Murdoch, the doors were in place...

Lit Sung Goong Temple, Cairns Cadcai Temple Drum

Overview Founded in 1886/1887 in Cairns, the Lit Sung Goong (LSG) Temple fell into disrepair in the 1950s and was dismantled in 1964. Its collection of various Chinese artefacts was salvaged by the Chinese community. Cairns & District Chinese Association...

Governor Macquarie Collector’s Chest

Heritage Dining Chairs, Old Parliament House