Glebe War Memorial
The Glebe War Memorial was built in 1921 in honour of 174 local residents who did not return from World War I including the Australian fast bowler, Albert “Tibby” Cotter. It was constructed thanks to funds raised by the Glebe community and designed by local resident, William Martin.
Martin’s design is considered quite unique for a community war memorial, mixing both Egyptian and Greco-Roman architectural elements with Christian and Classical imagery. The main building is a cenotaph shrine primarily made of stone, marble, bronze and concrete. A marble bust of an angel guards the entrance, whilst busts of an Australian soldier and sailor flank the main building. The structure is topped by an impressive marble dome, at the centre of which rests a granite orb.
Mystery of the missing clasp
A bronze Victoria Cross clasp was once attached to the orb, but mysteriously went missing sometime after 1954. Photographic evidence revealed that the missing clasp was identical to the one attached to the Mascot War Memorial, and so this was copied and recreated. ICS managed this process, working closely with Crawford Castings (Link: http://www.crawfordscasting.com/), who recreated the clasp at their Sydney foundry using the lost-wax bronzing process.
ICS was commissioned by the City of Sydney to manage the conservation of almost every element of the Memorial, including:
For further information
This beloved sculpture of a wild boar with a shiny gold snout is an exact replica of one by Italian artist Pietro Tacca, which has been on display in Florence since c. 1633. Located just outside Sydney’s oldest hospital, Sydney Hospital, on Macquarie Street, it is a popular tourist attraction. Visitors are encouraged to donate a coin through the boar’s...
Matthew Flinders (1774-1814) was one of the most talented navigators and chart-makers of his day. A captain in the Royal Navy, in 1798 he sailed from Sydney and circumnavigated Van Diemens Land (Tasmania), proving that it was an island. From...
Originally unveiled in 1932, just 5 days before the opening of the Harbour Bridge, the Archibald Fountain is considered one of Australia’s finest public fountains. Located in the heart of Sydney’s Hyde Park, it was built with the bequest of its namesake, Mr J.F. Archibald (founding editor of the Bulletin), and was designed by French artist, François-Léon Sicard. A noted...