Parkview Constructions engaged ICS to undertake conservation treatment of two pairs of concrete busts and statues on the historic façade of 59 Oxford St, Bondi Junction. The Oxford Street-facing façade was being preserved in front of the high-rise development of New Life apartments.
The two busts are located at the top of the façade on the building’s roofline, on decorated concrete plinths overlooking the street. An arched colonnade runs the width of the middle storey of the façade. The two statues are positioned either side of the central double column. The statues are life-size, transforming at the waist into decorative elements, spanning the height of the storey.
Treatment to the busts and statues included removing existing paint coatings, applying biocide, undertaking corrosion treatment, investigating the structural stability, repairing the cracking and loss of materials and the application of a new paint system.
Additional works were undertaken to one of the statues to enhance its stability. Corroded pins were replaced and additional pins on its upper sections were installed. Any detached fragments were re-secured with pins. Cracks were repaired using a cement and lime-based mixture. All metal elements were capped to prevent water ingress.
ICS was engaged by AMP Capital Investors to carry out a condition inspection and provide options for the conservation of the Hinchcliff Wool Store Sheep. This resulted in ICS managing the replication, gilding and installation of the sheep back in its original location on the roof of the Wool Store. The heritage listed Hinchcliff Wool Store Building in Loftus Street,...
Overview The Petersham Horse Trough, made out of precast concrete, was erected in the 1930s by the Bills Trust. A dog trough is attached at ground level on the right side. A terrazzo plaque, situated prominently at the centre-front, reads...
Overview ICS has had a long and major association with the conservation of the huts and contents of the sites from the Heroic Era of Antarctic Exploration (1899-1916). Beginning with Carsten Borchgrevink's first winter in 1899 at Cape Adare and finishing with Shackleton's second expedition in 1917, there were five expeditions in total, with Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton...