Working with mould-affected objects
DATE:05TH OCT 2019
Mould affected items can be unsafe to work with. Loose mould spores can become air-borne, leading to inhalation as well as cross-contamination with other objects. We ensure our conservators work safely with mould-affected objects by using the process outlined below.
Bringing mould-affected items to ICS
- Make sure your item is wrapped in plastic before delivery to ICS. If your item is very large, please contact us for advice before you come.
- When you bring the mould-affected item to ICS for an assessment, we will firstly ask you to approve an upfront payment for mould remediation treatment.
- After mould remediation is complete and your object or artwork is safe to handle, we will provide you an estimate for further conservation treatment, eg. stain reduction, stabilisation, repairs.
- Mould remediation removes the worst of the mould so the item can be safely handled and assessed.
- Wearing gloves and respirators, and using specialist equipment, our conservators remove as much loose mould as possible from the surface of the object/artwork.
- Mould often causes staining and associated deterioration.
- Mould remediation on its own does not address staining and deterioration, so further conservation treatment may be required.
- If your goal is to simply have the surface cleaned, you may choose to have no further treatment.
- Mould growth may reoccur if the item is housed in or returned to conditions that promote mould growth, ie. high humidity, fluctuating environmental conditions.