Dating back to 1691, this rare tin-glazed earthenware ceramic plate was made to commemorate King William III who ruled England, Scotland and Ireland with his wife Queen Mary II from 1689-1702.
It features a portrait of the king, flanked by his initials ‘KW’ and surrounded by a floral border. The plate has a lobed-style edge and is decorated with blue, yellow and green on a white background – common with Delftware from this period.
The plate had been broken in the past and repaired with an unknown adhesive. To support these repairs, the plate had been lined with a fabric, which had discoloured and darkened over time. Since then, many years of surface dirt had built up and become ingrained in the various cracks and crevices. There were also numerous areas of loss and some joins were found to be slightly misaligned or incorrectly placed.
ICS was commissioned by the National Trust’s Miss Traill’s House to carry out a full conservation treatment, so that the piece could be displayed in their upcoming exhibition Our Oldest Treasures.
National Trust’s Miss Traill’s House