In the early 1920s, in Australia’s new capital Canberra, the building now known as Old Parliament House was designed by the Commonwealth Public Works Department Chief Architect John Smith Murdoch. Murdoch’s design was thought to be quite modern for its time. Often referred to as simplified or ‘Stripped’ Classicism, it features various square and circular motifs and is reflected not only in the building’s architecture but also in its furniture and interior fittings.
Opened in 1927 and housing Federal Parliament until 1988, this nationally significant structure and heritage site now functions as the Museum of Australian Democracy.
ICS was commissioned by the Museum to restore over 100 leather-upholstered, heritage dining room chairs from their collection.
Original to the building and designed by John Murdoch Smith, the chairs had been in constant daily use since their initial construction, and needed various types of restoration work.
ICS worked in conjunction with Fine Line Upholstery to reconstruct and reupholster the chairs so that they could continue to be used and displayed within the building. The project was carried out in several batches over approximately two years, involving the following furniture conservation works:
Overview Founded in 1886/1887 in Cairns, the Lit Sung Goong (LSG) Temple fell into disrepair in the 1950s and was dismantled in 1964. Its collection of various Chinese artefacts was salvaged by the Chinese community. Cairns & District Chinese Association Inc. (CADCAI) is the custodian of the Lit Sung Goong Temple collection. A rare example of the material culture of...
Overview The State Library of NSW owns two collector’s chests of similar style and detail but with different contents. Known as the Governor Macquarie Collector’s Chest and the Dixson Galleries Collector’s Chest, they are made of cedar and date from...