Australian War Memorial

PROJECT DATE : 30TH SEP 2019
project
Hall of Memory, Australian War Memorial
client
Australian War Memorial
services
Architectural Conservation

The walls and dome of the Hall of Memory are lined with one of the largest mosaics in the world. Designed by artist Napier Waller (who also designed the fifteen stained glass windows in the Hall), it was unveiled in 1959.

The mosaic inside the dome depicts the souls of the dead rising from the earth towards their spiritual home, represented by a glowing sun within the Southern Cross.

The figures on the walls - a soldier, a sailor, an airman and a servicewoman - recall the Australian experience of the Second World War. Over six million pieces of glass tesserae were used in the composition; it was installed by Italian craftsmen and took over three years to complete.

Treatment

ICS carried out a major program of conservation works to the mosaic in the Hall of Memory in 1998 - 2000. This included:

  • Detailed documentation of the condition of the complete mosaic
  • Cleaning of the mosaic, including removal of bird droppings
  • Removal and re-installation of the mosaic around the base of the dome, at the springing point of the apse, and at the head of the window mullions
  • Insertion of structural dowels of the head of the window mullions
  • Construction of new movement joints and floating mosaic supports at each location

project
Hall of Memory, Australian War Memorial
client
Australian War Memorial
services
Architectural Conservation

More Projects Like This One

Christ Church, Bong Bong

- AWARD WINNING - The fine decorative interior of the Anglican church of Christ Church Bong Bong in the NSW Southern Highlands was commissioned by the widow of the local landowner Charles Throsby in 1884. It had gradually deteriorated and discoloured and ICS were commissioned to conserve the entire painted scheme, including the stencil work on the ceiling and walls,...

Munn's Slipway, Barangaroo

The opening of Barangaroo Reserve has allowed Sydneysiders to walk around a part of the Sydney harbour foreshore that had been closed off to the public for more than 100 years. The six hectare parkland has transformed one of Sydney's oldest industrial sites,...