The Turramurra Wall Painters group was founded in the 1920s by Ethel Anderson (1883-1958) and included, amongst other important artists of the period, Roland Wakelin and Roy de Maistre.
In 1929 Anderson designed, and painted with members of the group, murals for the Children’s Chapel in the crypt of St. James Church, Sydney (1824). Including scenes such as the Angel of Mercy with cockatoo, Anderson wrote that the group's aim was to 'give the tiny room the brilliance of a page from the Book of Kells'.
Anderson carried out some remedial work on the murals in 1952 but requested that no further work be done during her lifetime. By the 1980s the murals had deteriorated so much that the chapel had to be closed. Large sections of the paint were being lost as a result of crystalline salts on the wall surface forcing off the painted plaster and gold leaf.
ICS was engaged to undertake an extensive conservation treatment, which involved removing the mural from the walls of the crypt and ceiling and reapplying it onto a fibreglass support in order to halt deterioration and loss. This required the paint surface to be faced up and then cut away from its plaster support and reapplied onto fibreglass panels built to match the form of the chapel.
Overview In the late 1990s in the small town of Rylstone, NSW, a mural hidden for 100 years was uncovered above a fireplace in the heritage-listed Bridge View Inn. Although in very poor condition, with the top third covered by overpaint, Virginia Hollister from the Rylstone Historical Society discovered that it contained accurate local historical information and amusing references to...
Overview The Futurist Room is one of several themed ‘character lounges’ in Sydney’s State Theatre. It was designed by Henry E. White in the 1920s and presents an intriguing Jazz Age vision of the future. Murals on each wall depict angular panels in soft pastel colours bordered with gold leaf in the Art Deco style. Condition By the end of...