Towards the end of his governorship in New South Wales (1810 – 1821), Lachlan Macquarie commissioned two convict artisans – William Temple and John Webster – to make two large ornamental chairs. The chairs were constructed from Australian rosewood and are the earliest known examples of a style known as ‘Colonial Gothic’. They feature extensive gothic decorative features.
One of these chairs is now the property of Macquarie University, known as the Macquarie University Chancellor’s Chair. The other belongs to the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney.
The Macquarie University Chair has been repaired and modified a number of times since 1821.
Prior to treatment, the blade of the dagger had been broken off, the two spires on the back legs were loose and there was some movement in the front seat rail/front leg joints.
The inner facing of both sides and the seat were upholstered in a leather which had become very pale in colour as a result of wear. The seat upholstery was in poor condition with the webbing partly broken.
Overview The State Library of NSW owns two collector’s chests of similar style and detail but with different contents. Known as the Governor Macquarie Collector’s Chest and the Dixson Galleries Collector’s Chest, they are made of cedar and date from the early 19th century. They contain painted panels of landscapes, fauna and birds, insects, butterflies and shell specimens. The Governor...
Overview In the early 1920s, in Australia’s new capital Canberra, the building now known as Old Parliament House was designed by the Commonwealth Public Works Department Chief Architect John Smith Murdoch. Murdoch’s design was thought to be quite modern for...