ICS is a sponsor of the ICOMOS GA2020 International Scientific Symposium: ‘Shared Cultures – Shared Heritage – Shared Responsibility’, being held in Sydney from 1 - 10 October 2020. As part of this sponsorship, we are hosting a Young Heritage Professional Journalist position, which can be undertaken as either an internship or unpaid professional development opportunity.
This professional development opportunity is for a student or recent graduate of heritage studies. The role commences in May/June 2020, and is tasked with generating industry conversation in the lead up to the ICOMOS GA2020 by writing articles and short stories for the Symposium website and associated social media networks including:
- A feature article to be included on the Youth Forum Tab of the GA2020 website (introductions to the Youth Forum Committee members will be arranged by the Organising Committee)
- A feature article based on ’20 Questions’ interviews with keynote speakers (introductions to keynote speakers arranged by the Organising Committee)
- A feature article on heritage eating and drinking places in Sydney
- Daily episodic online storytelling based on attendance of the ICOMOS 2020 Symposium and Youth Forum
All content generated will be provided to the GA2020 Organising Committee for approval prior to posting.
This is a great opportunity to engage with heritage professionals from around the world on the latest issues, research, information sharing, training and capacity-building through papers, seminars, workshops and site visits. The Scientific Symposium will provide a significant platform for peer-to-peer exchanges, instigation of mentoring relationships and the showcasing of best practice methods.
- Flexible, but must be available to work (preferably in Sydney) from mid-June 2020 on a part-time basis
- Must be able to attend the ICOMOS Symposium in Sydney from 1 – 10 October 2020
No. of days / weeks
- If undertaken as an internship, a minimum of 20 days over the project period.
- Work occasionally at ICS Sydney (Chatswood)
- Work from home
- Attend all days of the ICOMOS 2020 at the International Convention Centre Sydney
OUTCOMES FOR THE STUDENT/GRADUATE
- Sponsored attendance at the GA2020 Youth Forum and all ICOMOS GA2020 Symposium sessions
- Portfolio of short articles about keynote presenter topics on current heritage issues
- Networking with Australian and international peers, colleagues and mentors
- Insights into cutting edge topics and best practice principles in the heritage industry
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for applicants with the following attributes:
- Enrolled in or recently completed Heritage-related degree
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent verbal and conversational skills
- A strong understanding of online communication via web and social media
- Ability to plan and implement projects
- Ability to work efficiently within tight time constraints
- Ability to work independently as well as working well in a team
- Strong commitment to furthering the goals of the Heritage and Conservation professions
FINANCIAL OR OTHER SUPPORT
ICS contribution towards costs
- One (1) registration for the GA2020 Youth Forum and the ICOMOS GA2020 Symposium
- ICS will cover pre-approved project-related expenses, eg. travel within Sydney for project purposes
Rate of Pay
- There may be opportunities for paid casual work in addition to the project activities listed above, although this cannot be guaranteed.
- Monday 4 May 2020
- Please submit your expression of interest, plus CV and 2 referees