We are seeking a highly organised Graduate Conservator & Technician. You will provide hands-on skills, conservation and job administration support in the lab and on site. Based at our labs in Chatswood, Sydney, this role is suitable for a recent Conservation graduate or Emerging Conservator who is keen to gain experience in the private conservation profession. You will have a passion for heritage or the arts, combined with both practical and administration skills. Graduates with a specialism in objects or building conservation are preferred, however graduates of all conservation disciplines are encouraged to apply.
The Graduate Conservator provides technical and administrative support for a wide range of conservation projects undertaken at ICS labs and on site.
You will work closely with conservators to undertake conservation treatments under supervision according to your skills and experience. In collaboration with team members, you will help to develop conservation methodologies and also provide ancillary functions such as photo-documentation, purchasing, research and transport. You will have a primary responsibility for ensuring lab facilities, materials and equipment are serviceable and available when required.
This is a challenging role that requires excellent time management and hands on skills, plus great admin and communication skills.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Technical skill in at least one conservation field
• Experience using hand tools with accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to use a variety of basic workshop tools and equipment, eg. lifting equipment, power tools
• Excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal
• Great interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team
• Ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage time effectively in a constantly changing environment.
• Initiative, willingness and ability to learn from others
• Sound knowledge of and commitment to Work Health & Safety practices
• Outcomes-focused, with a level-headed approach, helpful attitude and excellent work ethic
• Confidence using business technology including Microsoft Office and digital cameras
• Australian citizenship or residency
• Drivers Licence
What we offer
In return for your hard work and professionalism, you will be entitled to a range of benefits including:
• Generous annual professional development allowance
• Mobile phone
• Great working environment and people
• Flexible working arrangements
The salary will be commensurate with experience in the range of $58,944 – 61,680 plus 10% superannuation.
Please download a position description and submit your application by 27 July 2021 using the online application form on the ICS website.
Your application must include a detailed resume, two referee contacts from current or previous employers, and a covering letter outlining why you believe you are suited for this job. Please refer to the selection criteria on the final page of the position description.
For further information contact Ruth Thompson by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.